Newport was built in 1883 as an Infant and Junior school and was amalgamated in 2004 into a full primary school. The school is located over three sites; the main school site (Reception to Year 6) and a Nursery and Nature reserve which are a short distance from the main school building. In 2011 Newport School increased in size and was converted into a 4 form entry school. The school serves a diverse population; pupils come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds of which a large majority, are of Asian British/Pakistani heritage. The pupils, parents and staff work very well together to make the school a positive and happy place to be. Children tell us that they love coming to school. Since September 2009 the school has been on a journey of rapid improvement, moving from Special Measures to an Ofsted judgement of Outstanding, awarded in June 2013.
Newport School has recently federated with another local school, Dawlish Primary School and has entered into a Soft Federation with Oakhill Primary School in the north of the borough since September 2015. These partnerships enable us to provide a shared approach to providing all children an outstanding education.