The Curriculum at Newport:
The curriculum is all the planned activities that are organised in order to promote learning and personal growth and development. It includes the formal requirements of the National Curriculum as well as the range of extra-curricular activities that the school organises in order to enrich the experience of the children. We aim to teach children how to grow into positive, responsible people, who can work and co-operate with others while developing knowledge and skills, so that they achieve their true potential.
Aims & Values:
Learning and achievement drives everything that we do at Newport School. Our role, in partnership with parents, is to build the foundations for a successful education, to enable each child to discover the joy of learning, to help them to fulfil every aspect of their potential and to encourage their growth into effective citizens, ready to play their part in the world and their community.
We want all our children to experience success and enjoy their learning when at school. We aim to achieve this through high standards of teaching within a happy, structured and caring environment. While following the National Curriculum, we ensure our children enjoy their learning by encouraging creativity and links across all curriculum areas wherever possible. We do this through a topic based curriculum which can be seen on individual year group curriculum maps. Through a rich and engaging curriculum, we motivate our learners to accumulate skills for life: children are encouraged to learn through enquiry and curiosity, drawing on real-life experiences to develop their skills as well as their knowledge.
At Newport we view learning as a journey, each year building upon the skills and knowledge developed previously. We understand that for pupils to be fully engaged with all aspects of the curriculum, a secure knowledge of the key skills for English and Mathematics is vital. Therefore, all aspects of our curriculum ensure that opportunities are provided for pupils to consolidate and further enhance these skills.
By the end of their time at Newport, we aim for all our pupils to have the confidence, resilience and increasing maturity to deal with changes in school and at home, whatever they may be. We expect them to have developed:
- A love of reading
- A thirst to enquire; ask questions and find out
- Positive relationships
- Excellent behaviour which is centred on respect
- An ability to problem solve both within and outside the classroom
- Key Maths and Literacy skills to prepare them for their next phase of education
- A love for learning.
We fulfil our aims and objectives through:
- The promotion of living a healthy lifestyle, Newport has been awarded the Silver Healthy Schools Award (June 2015) and the ‘afPE Quality Park’ with Distinction for PE.
- Promoting a Rights Respecting ethos, Newport has been awarded Level 1 Rights Respecting Schools Award by UNICEF (March 2015)
- An enriched, topic based curriculum, see individual year group curriculum maps
- Developing pupil leadership responsibilities such as Class Ambassadors, Lunch Leaders, Sports Ambassadors, Prefects, Music Ambassadors and Art Leaders.
- Implementing enrichment projects such as; photography workshops for Y5, Exploring British Values through Art in Year 4, residential programme for Y4-6